Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Funeral 101

I had the opportunity to create and lead my Aunt Barbies funeral this past Monday. So a couple of thoughts.
What an experience, I was so grateful to be able to give back something to my extended family. They have given me so much through the years, and it was so fulfilling to try and help them grieve/let go/be there for each other.
My aunt was a super cool lady, Always greeted me with a hug and Smile (and gave me pop whenever I wanted). She was a very open person, and lots of people were touched by her life.
I was extremely touched by the people from her work, from the sound of things, her getting a job where she did was one of the best things for her, they treated her like family. They never quit giving her a paycheck the entire time she was to sick to go to work, and what she said was "they treated me like an actual human being," thanks for loving my aunt like that.
It was so good to see my cousins, Eddie, Bonnie, and Lyn, some of the coolest people I know.

My last quick thought about the funeral... I wanted to create a memorial service that I would want to go to, Something that was about the person who died, recognizing who they are, and that they have moved on, and that that person is now free. That grief is an important process, and not to rush it. And that we are here for each other. I stayed away from anything to preachy, I have been to a couple funerals where the preacher ended up preaching hellfire and brimstone, and totally ruined his opportunity to minister to peoples souls, I might have gone "too far" away from anything preachy, but I will probably always err on that side, it just seems more loving to reflect on the person and be there for people, hugin on em, or crying with them, than to tell people that unless you believe like me you are going to hell..... maybe I'm wrong though.

God's got a plan, and I want to get on board and treat people like he would treat them, like my aunt would treat them.

4 comments:

  1. You did a great service to your aunt Barbie. I know she's proud of you, and God bless your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm the "anonymous" from above. I'm testing your comment system. Looks like it works fine if you pick who you're commenting as and then preview your comment. Again, what a wonderful memorial for Barbie. You'll make a great pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying out the comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. woo hoo comment work! Thanks Dave I appreciate it man! She was an awesome person.

    ReplyDelete